Preserving Nobscot's History
Our mission is to preserve the historic Nobscot Post Office/Library building. A full restoration of the interior is planned, followed by an exterior touch-up. This quaint structure was the first self-standing post office in the town of Framingham, dating back to 1878. The original building was only 12’ x 12’. An addition of the same proportion was built in 1905 to house the Framingham Public Library’s “Nobscot Depository”. The new 12’ x 24’ structure was now shared by the two entities. Out of one of the windows in the post office section, residents could purchase rail tickets for passage on the trains that would stop at the nearby Nobscot “North Station”. The Post Office closed in 1933 and the Nobscot Depository (library) operated until the Fall of 1953.
Seventeen years ago, Framingham retired firefighter and town historian Bill Dyan found this hidden treasure in the woods behind the railroad tracks across from Hemenway School in Nobscot, a village of Framingham. Not knowing about its historic value, a resident turned it into a make-shift garage. Bill researched this structure and brought to life its historical significance. In 2000, he had it moved across the street to its present location on Water Street in front of Heritage Assisted Living and restored the exterior of the building. Bill never got a chance to restore the building’s interior. In 2013, longtime Nobscot resident and builder Rick McKenna took interest in the building and put lighting on the exterior of the building to emphasize its historic significance. Rick tracked down Bill Dyan and they met on several occasions, making plans to resume the restoration together. Unfortunately Bill passed away before they could start the interior restoration. Shortly thereafter, Rick was introduced to Bill’s granddaughter Krista Dyan. Krista also had plans to continue Bill’s legacy by finishing up the building’s restoration. Krista and Rick have teamed up to make this restoration come to fruition.
In fulfilling the dreams of Bill Dyan, we are moving ahead and restoring the interior to reflect its historic past. Our plan is to turn this treasure into a walk-through museum. We will include a number of Nobscot artifacts related to its use as a post office, library and train ticket station. We started the project in June 2014 and hope to have it open soon.
Help preserve Nobscot’s past!
We are in need of restoration help (experience not necessary), small financial donations and materials donations.
Many thanks to Carby’s Lumber for their generous donation of lumber for floor and wall reframing.
Thank you Yankee Craftsmen for our restored light fixtures!
Thank you Bedford Historical Society for the photo donation